As the title suggests, this book will show you how to become who you were meant to be. I was able to accomplish this and I will show how you can do the same thing. In the following pages, you will discover 10 (must-know) essential concerns that you need to fully deal with to achieve this goal.
Using many inspiring stories from my own life in a variety of exciting professions you will see that it is truly possible to live the life you were meant to have.
I have tried to cover the important areas that stand in the way of you achieving more happiness through meaningful and enjoyable work. I’m asking you to take a hard look at the 10 essential concerns that I have covered in this book and the lessons learned from the stories that accompany them. If you apply the wisdom and messages from these stories you will be able to look back from the future at the time when you made a major change and finally became who you were meant to be.
Becoming who you were meant to be, does not necessarily mean having only one focus for your life. It does mean becoming committed to developing the gifts and the talents that you have been born with. It means not settling for “a Job,” but creating a different course for your life where you continually develop who you are, what you can do, and what you love to do.
Applying the principles you will read in this book allowed me to achieve my major goals at different times in my life. Let me help you to change your belief structure in such a way that you too will be able to reach a higher purpose than you thought was possible. Below is an example of what I’m talking about.
Perhaps you have heard of Helen Keller? She was blind and deaf from around the age of two. In her 70 plus years, she wrote 14 books and gave over 400 talks around the world. How many of us would have accomplished anything with those kinds of challenges? Thinking of her makes me feel humble when I have moments of doubt as we all do. If she could accomplish this, then ask yourself “What could you accomplish”?
It is not enough to just believe in yourself. That belief has to have power enough to force you into taking action and that’s when things change. My belief that the rock band I was in had a good shot at making it in the big time was very powerful. It was so strong that I convinced six fellow musicians to quit their day jobs and head to England where things we couldn’t imagine unfolded.
• In the following pages, you will experience what was like to be a rock star drummer behind Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, and The Original Drifters on British and French tours.
• What it felt like to fear for your life at a concert riot at London’s Saville Theatre attended by all the big rock stars of the day.
• Experience the exhausting life on the road in England & Europe with my six musician buddies from Victoria, including my good friend and now famous Hollywood Music Producer David Foster.
• The secret that allowed me to change from a 26-year-old beginning photographer to an established press photographer with an estimated 4,000 published photos.
• What it took to overcome the lack of a high school diploma and find a way to be accepted to study film at Columbia College in the center of Hollywood.
• How I created a children’s dramatic outdoor survival film that went on to international fame along with having the pleasure of watching one of my films broadcast four times across Canada by CBC.
• How My partner and I overcame the struggles and created Vancouver Island’s first film training school.
• The importance of the support from your friends and family as you move toward your goals
• Believing in my communication skills and then becoming a public speaker.
• “You have a lot of knowledge”, she said, “you should write it all down”…and so I became a published author.
You can do everything that I did
and more, once you decide to…
“Become Who You Were Meant To Be”
So let’s get started…
Quotes from people who read the book
“Inspiring and entertaining for all ages, How To Become Who You Were Meant To Be . . . takes the reader on a vicarious journey through the author’s experiences, from touring in the ’60s with some of music’s legends-to-be to news photographer,
award-winning filmmaker, author, and inspirational speaker. Casson shares ten principles he learned . . . that guided him through the maze of self-doubt, societal pressure, and the financial and professional setbacks that prevent most of us from acknowledging,
pursuing, and achieving our creative potentials. For those who would prefer to create a fulfilling life centered around their true passions but who feel the obstacles are insurmountable, this book could help inspire you to accept the challenge and pursue the life you choose.”
— Don Gordon, Bydan Wealth Management
“ . . . this book is needed to enhance the self-help section of your library, to promote self-awareness in an encouraging manner, and to observe, in awe and wonder, how much a life might include.”
“Barry’s latest book will take you on a challenging and inviting journey into a world of courage and perseverance. It teaches you to think big and keep pushing from the get-go. Written in a cinematic style with lots of timely punch lines, I thoroughly enjoyed it cover to cover and you will too.”
— Jabbz Farooqi, VMPS Alumni, Consultant & Entrepreneur
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
#1 Taking a Hard Look t Your Gift & Talents as You Become
• My intro to music
• Stealing the school’s drums
• My intro to David Foster and family
• Checking out the British Music Scene
• Convincing 6 guys to quit their jobs
• The England gigs
#2 The Best Way I Know To Develop Your Gifts.
• The three horn players quit
• Drumming on the Chuck Berry Tour
• The Saville Theater riot
• Bo Diddley and The Drifters tour
• Reflecting on 13 months on the road
#3 The Smart Way of Dealing With The Hurdles that Are Stopping You From Becoming…
• The magic snare drum and even big stars fail
• The band splits up
• My most embarrassing moment
• I was down to my last bowl of soup
#4 Learning To Give Up The Things that Are Holding You Back as You Become…
• 1967 and back to Victoria
• The sound I’ll never forget
• He lost his organ in the middle of the night
• Those profound moments that change your life
• My first published newspaper photo
#5 This is How You Change Your Thinking As You Become…
• Four short stories from my press photography career
• Big Jim’s trophy
• Looking back at my press photography career
• I’m a thirty-five-year-old high school graduate
• Looking more important than you are
#6 You Must Let of The Past If You Want To Become…
• Studying film in Hollywood
• 1980 another move and another career
• It’s all about timing
• If I failed this test I would lose my job
#7 How To Present Your Best Image to Others as You Become…
• My first film- The crystal Gardens
• The Making of Lost in The Woods – My most successful film
• How a cup of tea, a silver bar, and some tears kept me going
#8 Ways of Dealing With The Ever Present Procrastination as You Become…
• It was titled “Making it Happen”, So How Could I Quit?
• My news camera days were over but another career was starting
• It’s 1989 and we are starting Vancouver Island’s First Film School
• I began to do some public speaking
• Some stories from my corporate video productions
#9 -You Absolutely Must Stay The Course if You Want To Become…
• I cried in front of the crew
• We could have been blown to bits and had no clue
• How I got on the Oprah show – well kind of?
• Writing my first book
# 10 -It’s Your Mind Plus and This Word That Holds the Keys to Everything
• The word.
• One final word.